Thursday, August 16, 2012

Show And Tell

I think it will be fun to see some of my quilts. We'll start at the beginning.

 I'm even going to show you the first one that I sewed. It's a hoot! I didn't have a clue how to sew it, what kind of fabric to use, or how to quilt. I think it was in 1972. There was no such thing as the internet to find patterns or inspiration. There were no patterns, no books and no magazines. It was the dark ages of quilting, that's for sure...

I really wanted to quilt. I must have seen one somewhere, and I wanted to make one. A real hand quilted, old fashioned quilt. I didn't have a clue, and had no resources to find out.

My neighbor was a sales representative for the Arrow Shirt Company, and he had a garage full of sample books. They were filled with cotton fabric squares. Nothing very colorful, or interesting. It was the seventies, and I think even before leisure suits were popular for men. Do you remember those horrible leisure suits? Polyester nightmares!

Anyway, my neighbor generously gave me some of his old sample books. I was thrilled! I cut the squares out of the books and seamed them together. When the quilt top was done, I oh so artistically crossed stitched over the top of every seam with plain old white sewing thread. Now can you tell me what I was thinking? Who could see all those stitches I placed on my quilt? Superman maybe, because you would need xray vision to see them. What a waste!

Anywho. I didn't know what to use for a backing, so I bought a horrible geometric printed sheet. I rolled it around the front, because I didn't have a clue about binding. Hand quilting? Nope! I tied the whole thing together with acrylic yarn!

Guess what? After all this... I can't find it! I know it's here somewhere, and when I do find it I will post the photo. Believe me- you aren't missing much, except perhaps a good giggle!




No comments:

Post a Comment