Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Buttons

 
 
 
 
Do you have one of these? A button jar? I do, and it is filled with treasures. I have been collecting buttons for many years. Not the museum quality "collecting", but the bits of this and that collecting. I used to do a lot of clothing sewing. Unfortunately for that hobby, I discovered quilting and became obsessed with that. While I was sewing garments, I always had a leftover button here and there. I saved them. My Mom collected beautiful buttons for me, and antique buttons for me. She gave me cards of buttons, and jars of buttons. I treasure them.
 
Now I knit. I love to knit. The peace and quiet. The calmness. The color and texture. Everything. The lace shawls, and scarves. The sweaters. The socks. Now, I have a belief. I believe that if I use great yarn, and I spend hours, days, weeks and months of my precious time making something beautiful, then it deserves beautiful buttons. So, I have more buttons for my jar. My jar sits on a shelf in my sewing room. I do use things out of it from time to time, but mostly it's a collection of my life in fabric and yarn.
 
Have a colorful day...

2 comments:

  1. i should have button jar. right now most of my buttons are tossed in my sewing basket. i've always been tempted to buy a already done one at at thrift/antique place but had no idea what to with all those buttons. i like the idea of letting them be useful mementos of a life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little colorful memories... Start now!

    ReplyDelete