Friday, May 3, 2013

Sewing Lessons



I know that most of my friends that quilt or sew clothing learned from their Moms. I did too, in a different fashion. My Mom didn't sew at all. When I was still living at home, and my sister was very little, I tried to teach Mom to sew. We bought a pattern and fabric for a very tiny, very simple dress. I gave her my best advice and help. However... She pinned the pattern and fabric to the carpet, and couldn't cut it out. She got her finger stuck in the bobbin case, and the armholes of the very cute green and white gingam dress came out square. I could never talk her into trying again. She wanted nothing to do with it. She even used to sew buttons on in the wrong places. Sewing was definitely not her muse.

My first fuzzy memory of sewing at all was when I was about five years old, and I had another ear infection. Back in the old days, when you were sick, you stayed in bed. No televisions in bedrooms in those days.No computer, I-Pad, or Smart phone.  My Mom would bring the radio into my room and I would listen to Patty Page, and Perry Como. She spent many, many treasured hours reading to me. She inspired me to have many adventures in the pages of books. One of those books, was published in 1918. It belonged to my Aunt and then my Mom, and then me. It's one of my most treasured possessions. It's Raggedy Ann Stories by Johnny Gruelle. It really doesn't have very many references to sewing. Only one in fact, but it made me want to sew in a major way. I made doll clothes out of old clothing. 

When I was old enough I took lessons in summer school, and always in regular school. My Mom bought me fabric, drove me to the fabric store, and always, always cheered me on. Thanks Mom! 

No comments:

Post a Comment