Friday, June 28, 2013

Hot, Hot, Hot





I love summer. I love my deck surrounded by redwood and pine trees. We also have some smallish maples which you will hear much more about in the autumn. I eat breakfast while reading a good book and listening to Pandora radio on my deck. Do you know about Pandora radio? If you have a Kindle, Pandora is a free music site. You type in a genre or artist, and you create your own radio station that plays music of that style. If you dislike a song you can stop it. There is a small advertisement every six songs or so. I listen to Frank Sinatra, or Celtic music, or nature songs. I also have an Adele channel for when I'm cleaning house. While I'm reading and listening, I also watch the blue jays flitting around from tree to tree. Sometimes it's difficult to concentrate on my book when those birds are screaming at each other.

I don't think I'll be eating outside for a while. We are at the start of a heat wave, and I don't do heat. I would rather shovel snow than be outside in the heat. The older I get, the more I hate it. I will be in the house reading my book. I have piles of books all over my house. Two full bookcases, and a stack of books next to my bed, and two stacks of books in my sewing room. I have always loved to read. My Dad used to hold me on his lap and read to me. From the first time my Mother took me to a library I was hooked. I remember the children's section was down the stairs, in the basement. I was so enthralled. I would read on my bed, and reading was always my best subject when I was a child. I used to go to our neighbors house. I wish I could remember her name, but I can't. She used to give me lemonade and cookies, and she read Pinocchio to me. I guess I asked every one to read to me, before I learned how to read myself. In fact I remember the first day of school when the "Dick And Jane" book was taught. I can remember every tiny thing. The giant book. The anticipation of turning the pages. Learning how to read for myself!

That library visit was the start of a life long love, and I'll be spending this week of nasty weather in a chair, in the house with a big glass of lemonade and a book. I might be stitching a bit too... It's so hard when you have multiple obsessions!

No comments:

Post a Comment