Friday, February 7, 2014

Let The Games Begin...and The Knitting

I love the Olympics. The competition. The beautiful backdrop. The stories of the athletes. The knitting...



I know that over on Ravelry they have the knitting Olympics. They have a lot of rules, and while I am a big follower of rules, in this instance I just can't do it. I tried during the last Olympics. The Summer Olympics two years ago. You have to cast on during the opening ceremony and be completed by the end of the closing ceremony. You can only knit while the competition is happening. Now, I love to knit, but I am not that fast. I am cheating. I am casting on as soon as I post this. I will be knitting every time I sit in my sewing room chair, but I probably won't be done in time.
I have a favorite everyday sweater that I knit a few years ago. It is very simple. Very little shaping, big and boxy. The perfect sweater to wear around the house when it's snowing outside and I'm a bit chilly, but not cold enough to turn the heater up. I'd love to show you a photo of when it was finished. So cute! I added lacy, crocheted ruffles and cute flower shaped glass buttons. Then I got a puppy.
Now, I love my puppy, who is almost a grown up. However, she has chewing tendencies. Who am I kidding? She will eat or chew on anything. Still. To this day. I can't leave her alone for a minute, and I've learned this the hard way. Here is the proof:




Do you believe me now? I think I need a new one. So-- My Olympics project is a new, everyday sweater. It will be the same pattern from The Purl Stitch by Sally Melville. The pattern is "Simple Cardigan".  I don't know if I will add the crochet, or cute glass buttons (they break if you drop your sweater on the tile floor). I will add four or more inches to the bottom, as it is very short. I think I'm going to make it striped, as I don't have enough of any one color. Brown and white. (Oh, and please forgive my photos. We are expecting storms and there is absolutely NO light).
Ok, I'm going to go start. I hope you have a fun project to work on during the Olympics. Happy knitting. Or quilting... Oh, and snacking... Can't watch the Olympics without snacking. I think I'll go bake brownies...

No comments:

Post a Comment