Sunday, August 24, 2014

Crispy Crunchy




We can see that autumn is on its way. The acorns are falling and keeping the squirrels very busy. Because of the drought, our garden is very dry looking. We have cut our water usage basically in half. My husband is the gardener of the family. He has worked so hard trying to keep everything alive, and I think he has succeeded.  Our plants are so stressed, but alive. Well, everything except for a thirty foot tall pine that is dying. I have been keeping my eye on it for a few weeks, and at first I thought it was just losing some needles, which the pines do in the autumn. Last night while we were eating dinner on the deck it became very obvious that it is on it's way out. Still, if that's the only thing we are going to lose after this summer of very little water, I think the gardener of the family did a great job!







I knit a lacy feather and fan patterned cowl to wear this autumn with my wool jacket. It's knit with a lovely Noro yarn that's angora, wool and silk, on size eleven needles. The yarn shop that I visit frequently, By Hand Yarn , in Sonora. provided the cute pattern with purchase of the yarn. It was a little more than I like to spend, but because it only took one skein, it was affordable. The Feather and Fan  pattern is a perfect way to learn how to knit lace. Yes, you have to count, but it's small enough and simple enough that a beginner could certainly handle it. Really.










 I dreamed of a pumpkin latte, and pumpkin ice cream and apple donuts while I stitched away. I've seen a lot of wild turkeys strutting across the crispy gold fields around and through the oak trees. I love to see the males displaying their iridescent tail feathers for the girls. The girl turkeys don't seem all that impressed, but I sure am. Come on autumn, and please, oh please, bring us some rain...



1 comment:

  1. I can feel the whisper of Autumn here too! Still braving it out with bare legs as long as possible! X

    ReplyDelete