Thursday, September 11, 2014

Bright and Cheery



This bright little bag is supposed to be a lunch bag. I don't have a need for a lunch bag. I never take my lunch with me, and if I did, I wouldn't take it in this cute little container. I don't want to get it dirty. The pattern book suggested laminated cotton, and I wanted to try it, but was not able to locate any at my local fabric stores. Peltex 71, is a very heavy duty fusible interfacing. I used it on the bottom half of this bag, and heavy duty it sure is. It feels almost like cardboard. I used a denim needle to stitch it. It gives great body to this bag, and enables it to stand up. BUT, it leaves sort of a ripple texture in the fabric. I don't think ripple is the word I'm thinking of, but you can sort of see it in the photos.
The pattern and directions are very clear. I can't say that it was easy to sew, nor would I say that it was difficult. I had a bit of difficulty trying to sew with the stiffness of the interfaced fabric. If you look closely you will notice a few wobbles in the seaming, and that is the reason why. I think that I will probably carry smallish knitting projects in it to take for a quick stitch here and there. Good idea, don't you think?


The pattern book, Sew Serendipity Bags, includes a very cute pattern for a nice sized backpack that is calling my name. It needs the stability and stiffness of the Peltex 71, so I need to practice with a few smallish projects before I attempt it.


The living room is finally done. I still need a light and an electrician for the dining room. So, I can't decide if I should show it now, or wait until it's totally done...


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful bright colour. You won't lose that bag on a dark evening when you are rummaging for your knitting! X

    ReplyDelete