Monday, February 8, 2016

Baste This Gypsy




I do not like sandwiching a quilt together. I don't have tables that are big enough, so I crawl around the floor. It's never been a favorite of mine, but now that I'm a bit older it's a real workout. My hands are always sore because of my autoimmune disease, but by the time I finish pinning and basting a quilt I need to take a pain killer. 


This quilt had issues, but I think I've solved them. 


The pieced border at the top and bottom, somehow some way, stretched out the bias edged pink background pieces. By the time I had it pinned and basted I had a rippled mess. Sometimes you can tell that a little bit of a ripple can be quilted out. This time I had puckers that would not have laid flat no matter what I did.




I had to take out the basting along the edges and rip out the stitching on the border. The pieced border is no more, and the pink background now lays flat. It means that my quilt is about ten inches shorter, but it's okay. The hard part is over, and I can now relax with my hand quilting. I love hand quilting. It's my favorite part of the entire process. I know that most quilters have moved on to machine quilting, but I don't think that will ever be my choice.



No comments:

Post a Comment