Friday, May 20, 2016

Pins Pins Everywhere





















I am so excited to begin this project. It's The Rowdy Flat Library Quilt BOM, by Susan Smith. It's been sitting and waiting for me to collect all of my fabrics together. Now I'm ready. 

As you can probably tell, I do not use glue. I know that a lot of applique stitchers use it, but it makes me nervous. I just don't want to use something on my fabric that may show years or decades down the road. I also don't wash my quilts when I'm finished, so that glue would be in there forever. Therefore, I have a lot of pins. Regular silk pins, where I'm going to be machine stitching, and teeny-tiny applique pins where I'm hand stitching. I check my chair and carpet multiple times a day, to be sure I haven't loosened any of them. I don't want my dogs to get one.

I'm behind on this block of the month. The third one is on it's way from Austrailia, and this is the first block that I'm stitching. Lot's to catch up on. Back to my needle and threads...

2 comments:

  1. I’m sure you will love to work on the Rowdy quilt. I also use the needleturn appliqué technique and I love it! It’s almost common use here to work with freezer paper and a glue stick. We are introduced to Apliquick sticks to work with, but I need to feel what I do with my fingers. We are a rare species, as most people wash their quilts right after they’ve finished them, I don’t either. I received part 4 of the BOM today, but I’m still working on month 2. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, it would be my dream to make a quilt like this! I don't know how to do needle turn applique, this is something I need to learn. Look forward to seeimg your project take shape. I am going to make a note of the quilt name for the future, when my skills perhaps catch up with my ambitions! X

    ReplyDelete