Monday, June 6, 2016

Kennedy Meadows and Kidlets










I have been stitching, but much more importantly, I've had company. Actually we have had company. Four of our grandchildren, or kidlets as I like to call them, came for a three day visit to celebrate the end of school. 

In Twain Harte, every summer, there is a fun one day event called the "Crapper Derby". It's a race of porta-potty type floats. There is an "occupant" and two pushers. Very fun and inventive. As you see in the above photo, the mouth of the fish is actually a toilet seat. The winner of the derby, goes on to a state final in another city. The grandchildren have a very fun time looking at the entrants and watching the race.

After the festivities in town, we took a ride up the highway to nearly the top of Sonora Pass, to Kennedy Meadows. It's the gateway to the Emigrant Wilderness. They have mule pack trains and a lot of horses to take hikers on great adventures. I just wish I were younger, as I would love to try it. However, I don't think that sixty-two years of age is a good time for a rookie pack trip. Do you?










Everything is so beautiful and green at the top of the pass (Sierra Nevada mountains, for those who don't know), but we drove through a lot of patches of dead pine trees from the drought and the scourge of the pine bark beetles. It's going to be a long, hot and frightening summer with the wildfires that seem to come every year.

In two days I'm the hostess for a birthday party for a friend, and after that, I hope to be back to more time with a needle and thread.

No comments:

Post a Comment