Thursday, December 8, 2016

Sadness




I belong to a weekly quilting Bee. I'm not even sure how long the group has been in existence. I have been a member for fourteen years. The women who are my fellow members are like my sisters. We know everything about each other. We know everything about our families. We share patterns, and projects. Each of us was invited by a member to come see if we would like to join. I was invited by a friend of my Mother. My friend is Lynn Merrifield. She and her husband just made a move to the beach. To be closer to their dear daughters. I'm going to miss Lynn very much.


We shared some of Lynns quilting fabric that she didn't want to pack and take with her. I found a treasure, and I wish that I had taken a photo of it last evening when I got home from Bee, but I didn't.  Then you could have seen it when it was in pristine condition.  It is a completed, hand appliqued block. I inked her name on it this morning. I was going to quilt it, and make a pillow using it. Change of plans...


I am so mad at my dear dog, Walter. I went upstairs at O-dark-thirty, to make a cup of tea, and when I came back downstairs, Walter was chewing on Lynns block. It has holes in it. In more than one place. I cried.

I think I'm going to press a stabilizer on to the back of it, sew a backing on to it, bind it, and pin it to my sewing room wall, where I can see it every day.

These photos are really bad, but it's dark and raining here this morning, but we are still in a horrible drought, so I won't complain about the weather. Plus I adore rain.

I'm sorry Lynn.

3 comments:

  1. What a lovely block to remember your friend. You could always applique a tiny bug or something on that spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of that, but there are quite a few spots. I've fused it to another piece of fabric and I'm going to put a binding on it and hang it in my sewing room.

      Delete
  2. Things happen and we just have to make the best of the situation that we can. The stabilizer sounds like a good idea.

    ReplyDelete